Monday, January 25, 2016

Getting Better...

Disappearing Nine Patch

I have been practicing more with the nine patch.  I saw this idea and thought I would give it a try.
Of course I had to use some fabric with Mickey Mouse on it!
After sewing the rows together like a basic nine patch...

 I cut the block in half both ways.  

Then the fun part....flip the pieces around any way you want!

Here is how mine turned out :) 

Thursday, January 21, 2016

More Practice

Neighborhood House

I have started my practice for the Neighborhood Party.  
I found a template online for a house, so I followed the directions for it.  

 At first, it looked like the pieces were not going to fit...but I was able to make some adjustments to make it work!

It is pretty simple, but I am really happy with how it turned out.  Let me know what you think!

Sunday, January 10, 2016

More Practice

9 Patch Block

So I decided to try an actual "patchwork block."  I cut out several 4.5 x 4.5 pieces of fabric and arranged them into a 3 x 3 block.

I sewed each row of 3 together

And finally, sewed each row to the row beneath it.
Here is the final product. The hard part is getting each of the pieces to line up with one another. This is one of my favorite "practice attempts" so far!

Thursday, January 7, 2016

Practice Project #3

New and Improved Sunbonnet Sue 

I practiced Sunbonnet Sue again today and this time, added in a dog! I used a zig-zag stitch all the way around each piece.

Finally, I added a piece of ribbon to use for the dog's leash!  

This is still not perfect, but it looks better than the first attempt of Sunbonnet Sue in my opinion!

Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Practice Project #2

Pillowcase Lounger 

My mom and I had seen this idea on the internet and I thought I would give it a try as one of my practice projects.  It is a pillowcase lounger or floor cushion.  It seemed like a great way to practice sewing multiple pieces of fabric together in a pattern or row.  

To make this, you need pillowcases and pillows- easy!  Sew the pillow cases together... 

Until you have them in a row!

Stuff the pillows in....and wha-la!  A pillow lounger for the floor!

It wasn't the most challenging of projects, but it was still good practice for me!  And now I have a comfy pillow bed!  This is getting a little easier... :)

Saturday, January 2, 2016

Practice Attempt

Sun Bonnet Sue

I have been inspired to start learning how to quilt after seeing all of the beautiful quilts my aunts (Ida & Irene) have made, my grandmother has made, and recently, my Mom has made!

This experience is easier said than done... Getting used to the sewing machine, threading the needle, and winding the bobbin is tricky business for a novice!

I was excited to start my first project of Sun Bonnet Sue thanks to my aunt, Irene. Here are some of the pieces we cut out together while I was visiting this past week.  (I wanted to cut out multiple pieces so I could get PLENTY of practice before making the "real one.") 

I started out sewing one piece at a time.  Here is the first practice attempt of her.  I went around her multiple times trying out different ways of stitching.  The straight stitch was easiest to use, but didn't look the greatest.  I tried different sizes of zig-zag stitches also, as you can see.  

So as of right now, she looks like a hodge podge kind of job, but I will keep practicing!

Until next time...